Thank you for visiting my website and welcome!
Some personal stuff
Just something about myself and this website…
I was born in South Africa and presently reside in Pretoria, the capital of South Africa, with my wife Lindie. I was raised in a house where there always was and still is a keen interest and passion for nature, the outdoors and the African bush.
Similarly, I always had an interest in photography. I always made use of every opportunity to get some shots in with my father’s old film SLR, but film was expensive and opportunities few. I got my first Kodak point and shoot camera when I was 11, but the same problem remained.
During 2004 we visited the Pilanesberg National Park in the North West Province of South Africa. We came across an impala ewe that was lazily grazing away on route directly towards a cheetah that was patiently lying in the grass and waiting – It was high noon and lunch was on its way! Needless to say, the cheetah had no choice and had to do what was necessary… It did so quickly with almost no “classic chase” at all – If she did not make lunch of the impala, the latter would have boasted to her friends that evening about how she walked right over a cheetah and still lives to tell the story! It was my first cheetah kill that I witnessed, but… I did not have a camera with me!
I got my first digital camera during 2005, a Sony Cybershot, but soon realized that digital SLR is the only way to go. During 2007 I got my first DSLR, a Canon 400D, and a whole new world opened for me! Not only can I take as many photos as I want to, but I also have creative freedom when it comes to processing those photos.
I only became more serious about my photography during the end of 2009 and the beginning of 2010. It resulted in my nature- and wildlife photography website (this website) to be launched on 27 June 2011. The website was initially designed through and hosted by the amazing people of PHOTIUM.
During August 2012 my photography blog was launched and during August 2016 my WEDDING-, LIFESTYLE- AND COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY WEBSITE followed.
Photography is unfortunately only a hobby and during office hours (and sometimes non-office hours) I am practising law as an advocate and member of the Pretoria Bar. I do however try to seize every opportunity to get out there and to get the shot.
I initially promoted my work under the name and style of “LinRu Photography”, “LinRu” being a combination of my wife’s name “Lindie” and my name “Rudi”. During April 2017, in preparation for the launch of this new website, I thought it to make commercial sense to use my own name.
At present I process my images with Adobe’s Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.
Publications and Achievements
A number of my work have been published in calendars, magazines and in online publications.
Nature and wildlife photography IS NOT about winning competitions and getting published in every magazine known to mankind, but rather to get out there and experience nature in all its glory. It is however always an honor to get a pat on the back and to know that your efforts to get out of bed before sunrise, spending long hours under the African sun and the resulting images, are appreciated by others…
- My biggest achievement to date – Every moment behind the camera
- 2017 Getaway Calender – Cheetah Brothers & Running Flamingo
- December 2016 – Getaway Magazine “Masterclass” – An African Buffalo Portrait
- October 2016 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Cheetah Brothers
- August 2016 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Relentless
- June 2016 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Monarch
- March 2016 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Running Flamingo
- July 2015 – Highly commended image in the 2015 Getaway Gallery Awards – Timeless
- December 2014 – Wild Card Magazine – “Animal Behaviour” double page spread – Hostile Takeover
- November 2014 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Close Quarters
- June 2014 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – The Big Itch
- December 2013 – Overall 4th place in the 2013 Getaway Gallery Awards – Hostile Takeover
- December 2013 – Highly commended image in 2013 Getaway Gallery Awards – Rhino Mud Bath
- November 2013 – Getaway Magazine – “Wish you were here” double page spread – August Waterfall
- October 2013 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Rhino Mud Bath
- June 2013 – Getaway Gallery Finalist – Hostile Takeover
- October 2012 – Wild Eye Nature Photography (Monthly) Winner – Hostile Takeover
Why do I do what I do? It is simple…
Return to HOME PAGE